Open Hand is a proud recipient of the Wells Fargo Days of Giving $1,000 donation
In 1988, our founder, Michael Edwards-Pruitt, and his neighbors joined together in his home kitchen to cook meals for 14 friends who were too sick to cook for themselves. 25 years later, Open Hand has grown to become one of the nation’s largest providers of home-delivered, medically appropriate meals and nutrition education – preparing, packing and delivering more than 5,000 meals daily (two million meals annually) across Metro-Atlanta and 17 Georgia counties. Open Hand is the only community-based non-profit organization providing Comprehensive Nutrition Care™, which combines medically appropriate meals with nutrition education, therapy and coaching for homebound seniors and underserved individuals struggling with chronic, critical or terminal illness.
25 YEARS OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
· Open Hand is powered by 16,000+ volunteers – averaging between 30 to 50 daily
· Our drivers cover nearly 650,000 miles every year making meal deliveries
· 2011 commemorated the delivery of our 2o millionth meal
· We recently broke ground on our expanded 17,000 square foot facility that will enable us to meet the community’s need for our services
· We have a growing fulltime staff of Registered Dietians who provide nutrition education, counseling and therapy to Open Hand clients and ensure the nutritional value of our meals
· We collaborate with 35+ other community organizations to eliminate redundancy and ensure that we reach as many of our at-risk neighbors as possible
· We are consistently rated in the top 5% of nonprofit organizations nationally for fiscal responsibility by the nonprofit watchdog, Charity Navigator
As Open Hand commemorates our 25th anniversary, we celebrate and give sincere thanks to you for helping us reach this milestone. With each recipe we create, each meal we prepare, and every delivery we make, we impact the lives of people we have the duty and privilege to serve.
On behalf of thousands of men, women, children and homebound seniors we have the privilege of serving, thank you for your support of our mission.