We assist homeless families in making the transition from homelessness to self-sufficiency in a structured but home-like environment. Nicholas House is committed to assisting its families attain three goals that form the basis of self-sufficiency.
1. Earn a Living Wage.
2. Maintain the Physical, Mental and Social Health of the Family.
3. Maintain Safe and Stable Housing.
We help families address the causes of their homelessness by offering shelter, case management, youth programs, assistance with life skills, and other supportive services targeted to each family's individual needs. Families are eligible to participate in NHI programs for up to one year. After they graduate, they are offered an additional two years of Aftercare Services so that they can cement the gains they made while in the program and maintain their self-sufficient lifestyle.
Introducing the I AM Campaign
Busting myths surrounding homelessness...
The term "homeless" comes with a great deal of stigma and assumptions. The myths associated with homelessness are a detriment to those who live under the judgment placed upon their situation. We noticed these myths and decided to do something about it. With our "I AM" campaign, we gave the families of Nicholas House an opportunity to break down the myths of their lives. They were asked to write down what they think society thinks of them, and juxtapose it with what they truly believe of themselves. We hope that their words are heard in ways that break naively held assumptions, squash belittlement and pity and instead lead to empowerment.
These brave souls have something to say to the world...
* You've never met a more caring soul until you've met the empathetic and perseverant nature of a child.
* Strength is not made in the absence of hardship, but in the presence of it.
* Statistics might tell chapters of a book, but never the whole story, and never the final chapter.
*20% of Nicholas House children are on the honor roll!
* We provide parents with parenting classes so they can become their best selves for themselves and their children!
* Nicholas House provides tutoring to ensure that every child is well-equipped for their grade.
* Negative thinking and lack of empowerment have drastic affects on ones psyche. That's why Nicholas House provides direct case management that empowers.
* Mental illness is a leading cause of homelessness, but a challenge cannot stop a mission! All Nicholas House participants are encouraged to seek treatment with caring and supportive professionals.
* 58,000 college students are homeless today!
To learn more, volunteer, or donate, visit nicholashouse.org